Monday, July 19, 2010

I'm an African vegetarian

The food here has been pretty tasty, so far. Neither Keith nor I have gotten sick or had the typical adjustment period to a new culture's food/bacteria. I'm a pretty picky eater so I packed many snacks and hoped for the best. There's only so long one can live off of Luna bars and coconut m&m's. Keith's been kind enough to share his beef and turkey jerky since I'm not a big fan of eating goat (I want one as a pet some day so I don't think that would be a good idea, karma-wise) and the majority of the beef and chicken is a chopped up animal thrown in the pot. Literally. I think every part of the animal is cooked: bones, tendons, fat, everything. Keith is much more food adventurous than I but he's even not much of a fan of the meat that he's been served so far. I wouldn't be surprised if we were to find cow hairs or chicken feathers in some of the dishes.


Our first day in Moshi we had traditional African food at a restaurant that was full of locals. We were with a local named Ed, so he knew what to order for us...kind of. He asked us if we liked bananas and if we liked rice. It sounded much better than the goat I've heard that they served around here so I was happy with those choices. It was actually not bad at all. We were served two large plates (one of cooked bananas and one of rice) with some side dishes of veggies and sauces and Keith and I could not finish all of the food. Our total bill was 5600 shillings, which is about $4. For the most part, our frugal selves will stick to local food.

Tanzania is known for bananas and it is obvious....bananas are sold and grown everywhere. They are used in three main ways. There are small ones about the size of a large thumb that you eat as a fruit (peeling it like we do at home). There are larger ones that are green, cooked, and taste how cooked potatoes taste in the states. When the larger ones are yellow then they are fermenting them for beer.

bananas that we ate that tasted like potatoes

We also went to the market while in Moshi which was very interesting. It would not be a place that you would want to go if you were feeling the least bit nauseous (the fish section of the market, at least). It was all open but at the same time very small, crowded and dingy. I truly have no idea how we even got there. All of a sudden Ed ducked in a doorway and we were in another world, but not in a building. It is all outside, with just small little stands set up with as many things crammed into one stand as you can imagine. We later went to the more expensive market which was mostly under one roof and full of rice, beans, sugars, fish, and produce. Then around the outside of the large roof (almost like a fair barn, if you will), there were little stands much like in the first market. At these stands anything from necklaces to spices to plastic dishes are sold. All of the pictures below are of the more expensive market.

where we bought our papaya (therefore, they let us take a picture of them)

one of the walkways through the outside of the market

me posing by the flour and rice so the lady in red wouldn't get cranky

the oranges are not orange here

Keith and I bought a large papaya for 1000 shillings (less than $1) but when we cut it up at the hotel it didn't seem to taste like the papaya that we have tasted....eh, oh well. Also, when we took pictures in the market, many of the women selling the items will yell, "NO PHOTO" or want us to pay them for taking the picture. I don't mind giving a few shillings here and there if I'm taking a picture of an actual person (I certainly wouldn't want tourists always snapping my picture without my permission and I'm sure they often feel as if they are on display for the tourists) but it seems kind of silly when we are taking pictures of food. So, Keith took a lot of pictures with me "posing" and then he would zoom in on the food. Then we quickly walk on with them cackling in the background.

We are now in Zanzibar and we have found a food fair at the park near the water that happens nightly. It's kind of like a miniature 'Pig Out in the Park' if you are familiar with Spokane's yearly festival. Except it is every night. Keith tried some octoups last night (and then got into a shouting match witht he guy that tried to charge him for the sample that he said was free.....anyway...) and we have eaten quite a few samosas there. Samosas are little triangle shaped pockets that are filled with either meat or veggies and then deep fried. They are pretty tasty...not too healthy, but tasty. I am becoming more open and am now eating meat now and then but for the most part will stick to vegetarian meals. For instance, for breakfast this morning I had french toast with CHOCOLATE syrup (love this place!) and tried a banana and chocolate pizza at the food fair last night.

There's a food update from around the world! I hope you enjoyed. :)




1 comment:

  1. Good post! I'm sure the whole animal goes into the pot because they can't afford to waste anything. What, you never wanted a cow or chicken for a pet!? :)

    ReplyDelete